All complaints must be submitted in writing. To file a complaint, please complete the complaint form and send to OFI by mail or fax.

Non-Depository Complaints

ATTN: Non-Depository Division
8660 United Plaza Boulevard, 2nd Floor
Baton Rouge, LA 70809-7024

(225) 925-4525

Regulated Entities

BanksState-chartered banks only. Complaints regarding nationally-chartered banks (Chase, NA, Capital One, NA. etc.) should be directed to the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency at (800) 613-6743 or by mail at Customer Assistance Group, 1301 McKinney Street, Suite 3450, Houston, TX  77010.  Complaints regarding Regions Bank should be directed to the Alabama Banking Department at (866) 465-2279.
Bond for Deed Escrow Agency 
Check Cashers
Credit UnionsState-chartered only.  Complaints against federal credit unions should be directed to the National Credit Union Administration (NCUA) at (512) 342-5600.
Licensed Lender/Insurance Premium Finance Company (Finance Company)For motor vehicle sales financing, contact the Louisiana Motor Vehicle Commission, Sales Finance Division, at (504) 838-5207.
Loan Brokers (Brokers consumer loans not secured by real estate) 
Money Orders/Money Transmitters/Stored Value Cards 
Notification Filer/Retail Sales Contracts 
Payday Lenders (Deferred Presentment and Small Loan Lenders) 
Repossession Agencies and Agents 
Residential Mortgage Lenders/Mortgage
(888) 525-9414
Thrifts/Savings and LoanState-chartered only. Complaints regarding federal savings and loans or federally chartered savings banks should be directed to the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency (OCC) at (800) 613-6743.
Associations/Savings Banks